Monday, April 25, 2011

Like A Butterfly...

While this is a slightly depressing song, the chorus keeps popping into my head. Confession: I love Corinne Bailey Rae....she has the most mellow and soulful sound. Her voice has this syrupy sweetness that reminds me of sweet tea in the summer. Is that weird?

The other day someone told me that they thought I must have been a butterfly in a past life. I don't know if they meant this in a positive way or not, but that was the best compliment they could have possibly given me EVER. If you know me at all, you know that I have a tendency to be all over the place. I "flit" around like I don't have a care in the world, which isn't true...but I do think I give off this vibe. That being said, when I think of butterflies, I think of vibrant creatures that flutter about and bring joy. Think about it, as a kid the top two insects that you never kill or freak out about were butterflies or ladybugs. They were sweet insects that were more of a pleasure to see than a displeasure.

Also, when I think of butterflies I think of pollination. To me, this is a form of life-giving. Butterflies help keep things going. Their flitting about is helping the flowers keep growing. Butterflies bring joy, butterflies give life, butterflies are a symbol of freedom.

Now, when you really think about it, butterflies did not get to this place without working for it. They start out as caterpillars and have to work hard at becoming a butterfly. They literally trudge through life for awhile until the appropriate time comes when they have to work really hard to make their little cocoons. Then they have to wait....and wait....and wait.  They know the good things are coming, but they also know that they have to work hard in order to get there.

So, to recap
*Butterflies are carefree and bright
*Butterflies give life
*Butterflies bring joy
*Butterflies understand that a good thing is worth waiting for
*Butterflies are willing to work hard for that good thing.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that I like being compared to a butterfly :)

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of pollination... Today at Sprouts I found a bottle of bee pollen for sale..... Fun fact…

    ReplyDelete